Can you imagine sitting down at your dream job, utterly grateful for the opportunities you’ve been given and worked for? How long have you know? Do you remember the moment were you just knew that this is what you were meant to be doing?
Sometimes I think I’m never going to have that moment, if it exists. It’s easy for me to believe that I have multiple people living inside me each wanting to pursue something different. I can easily see myself as a surgeon, as an actor/director, as a novelist, but never at the same time or for a very long amount of time. It’s a cycle that changes frequently but always begins again. I never feel balanced unless I have a healthy balance of the three. A medical professional, a creator of impactful literature, a creator that could bring that literature to life…its all things that I’d love to do. But pursuing these things at the same time is taking its toll.
I loved taking music and method acting classes, but my academic life suffered. I love developing the characters in my stories yet I get so involved in that world that I forget about reality. I easily get invested in my pursuits and I forget that this girls has responsibilities. So I’m giving myself this year and the next to figure out what my focus will be. I’m 21 now, and though things aren’t a race, financially speaking I need to get it together.
So I’m taking a page out of Xingsing‘s blog and publicizing my resolutions. My usually big and vague resolutions are going to be dissected into smaller bits to help me focus as well. 2017 is my year of focus and selfishness in terms of my pursuits. Cause in the end, my career is for me and me alone and I can’t let other’s opinions sway me too heavily. So without further ado, here are my resolutions for 2017.
- Read 50 books this year. When I was under the heaviest workload at school, I still managed to read 3 books a week on average. I was a pretty fast reader and it helped me cope with the stress my responsibilities were weighing on me. Reading not only inspires me, but it helps me be a better writer. Reading needs to become a priority again.
- Seeing as I’m reading 50 books, I want to be able to complete this reading challenge to add some diversity to what I am reading.
- I want to start accepting and requesting accepting ARC’s again. It will be awesome to start reviewing books like I use to in high school.
- I want to write at least 1 book review per month on this blog. With reading around 1 book per week this shouldn’t be too hard. It will also help me get out of reading slumps after a good book. Reviews are a good way to get closure on a series.
- This year I want to also upload 12 book talks onto Cielosays, the youtube channel I made this year revolving around books, sex ed and any other random ideas that don’t fit into my weightloss channel – Building The Confidence.
- On this blog and on my Youtube channel I would like to talk more about amazing Women, POC’s and people who are on the LGBT spectrum. They deserve to be in the spotlight too.
- On the Building The Confidence channel I’d like to consistently post every week, while continuing to be brutally honest about what my journey to being healthier looks like.
- I need to social more with my fellow bloggers and expand my circle of friends online.
- I need to stop quoting when things get touch by reaching out to the sources that surround me (teachers, advisors and counselors).
- I will get rid of the shame that comes with not graduating on time. It isn’t a race and no matter what I will graduate and have a successful career.
- I will get an internship in of my interest to narrow down what my career will become.
- Complete two rotations of Pitt28
- Lose 50lbs
- Run a 6 minute mile by the end of the year.
- Join a rugby team in the summer.
- Figure out what self care looks like for me.
- Get at least 4 hours of sleep at night.
- See the Doctors I need to see in a time manner.
- Cook 2 new healthy meals a month.
- Make more time to socialize with my friends.
- Organize my room in a way that works for me. Also, get rid of the things I do not use anymore or else I’ll become a hoarder.
- Write at least 1,000 words a week in order to finish the draft to my novel by the summer.
- Stop doing things the day they are due.
Yep. That list was longer than I wanted it to be but I have 365 days to complete them. With the help of my handy dandy bullet journal, tracking my progress should not be difficult. A week into the new year and everyday I’ve been doing at least 1 thing to help myself in every category so I am very excited for the following months.
What are some resolutions you’ll be keeping this year?
Cielo. Skylar. Stranger.